So much has happened over the past couple of weeks and to be honest, some for the good, some for the worst. I won’t get into details, but one specific change that happened recently, made me reevaluate my career and what I want to do moving forward.
Since I started teaching, I really wanted to do something related to my degree and I’ve finally decided that I’m going to get my teaching certification in journalism, either in the middle or high school level. I love writing and I’ve loved teaching writing over the past couple of years, but now, I think it’s time to really use my skill set. I want to continue teaching but in a different area.
Should I be hired as a journalism teacher, I have somewhat of an idea of how I would set up my curriculum:
- The student’s grade would be based solely on their blog. In college, I took a social media aspects of journalism class, and out grades were based on our blog posts. We had to create a blog and our professor would give us assignments every week. I loved that class and I think it’d be awesome to recreate that in the classroom.
- My classroom would be solely technology based. With this, all updates, announcements, field trips, etc., would be posted to the class blog. It would basically be an online bulletin.
- Blog post topics would be based on whatever is hot in the news or on social media. The way to keep students engaged is to speak their language.
- I would demonstrate how to use social media responsibly, and how they can show their voice and be heard online.
- The focus of the class would be opinion pieces and it goes back to point 4: I want my students to be heard and feel like they have a voice.
- I would bring a lot of my expertise and passion to teaching journalism, for journalism has a special place in my heart.
- I would show the kids how to be reporters, how to conduct interviews, record and edit videos for their blog, and basically how to become even more tech savvy than they already are.
Though I haven’t even signed up for the test, my brain is working in overdrive on what I would do as a journalism teacher. I’ve been using teaching elementary as a safety net, but after recent events, it’s time to spread my wings and soar.
There’s nothing wrong with change, especially if it’s for the best and to better your life. Of course I will keep you all updated.
Has there been any changes in your life recently that coincides with the change did the season? Is there a change coming?